Thursday, January 22, 2009

A toast to roast

With time on my hands, I've taken to a new hobby since venturing into this new land. The kitchen is pretty much the focal point of our pad, so it's no surprise to say I've been spending lots of time there. I had my first attempt in roasting a chicken 2 days back and I'm proud to say it turned out pretty darn good! I was inspired by a recipe I saw in the papers a while back and the writer made it sound so simple I just had to try it! And so I did. For a recipe that requires so little work, the payoff is huge. The chicken has lasted us 2 dinners so far, with one more to come I suspect. The carcass can be used to make stock. And the sauce! Did I talk about the sauce?? I don't usually like adding corn starch to my gravies so I was quite excited to try this one. Basically you scrap the brown bits and onions off the roasting pan and bring it to a boil with some white wine. Let it reduce a bit and slide in a knob of butter to create a delicious tangy sauce that taste. so. good. I love it. Unfortunately I didn't take a pic of it. So maybe next time! Now if you'll let me make my chicken sandwich..

No comments:

Post a Comment