Monday, February 23, 2009
Easy, Peasy Japanbreeezy
What sparked off the interest in Japanese cooking was a tub of miso paste. Yes. In case you are wondering, its red miso paste.
After Saturday night's fiasco, the BF promised that we'll go back to Kotobukiya to retrieve the 'lost' groceries. And I went into a frenzy again, picking up the same stuff and a few more. This time, I got rice balls and silken tofu :)
That night whilst watching Oscars, we savoured a piping hot bowl of miso soup with pork ribs, julienned potatoes and tofu - recipe courtesy of Gracie :) (There were no rice cakes though. The ones I bought had red bean in them. But yummy nonetheless!) We also found an online recipe for grilled veges and promptly made a blend of miso with mirin, sesame oil and sugar for the caramelly burnt texture - tip from Gracie, that we slapped onto each veg. Then in it pops into the oven and dinner was ready in 3 mins. YUM. It was all so good.
(Aside, I gotta say that the veges here are ginormous. Check out the size of that eggplant! And the mushroom. Geez.)
Ok, our favourite has gotta be the grilled rice! The hard, crunchy bits really complements the warm soft inside of each bite (Reminds me of that grilled rice thingy we had at Cuppage!!) that goes so well with the miso. YUUMMS. Now I want to buy a whole bag of Japanese rice so I can keep making those rice balls!
There are a million ingredients you need for Japanese cooking but I'm actually pretty keen to get my head around it. Now I can't wait for our next cook-up!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment