Thursday, September 17, 2009

Going bananas

I love bananas in everything - banana bread, banana walnut muffin, banana french toast, banana-choc smoothie, banana + berry granola for breakfast or banana+peanut butter+ honey on toast or with ice-cream as dessert. Ah, I love bananas. Except in its original form. It dawned on me then, that I never baked with bananas! I immediately googled for a recipe and viola! The puurfect banana muffin recipe popped up. Combined with dark choc and oatmeal, its like my favourite smoothie in a muffin. Even better, it is healthy and virtually fat-free. Plus, I actually have all the ingredients. Puurrfect enough? Recipe as follows: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Makes 16 muffins Line muffin/cupcake tins with liners, if desired or spray with a non-stick cooking spray. Ingredients: 2 very ripe bananas 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour 3/4 cups of sugar 1/8 tsp. salt 1 tsp. vanilla 1 egg 1/3 cup low-fat or no-fat sour cream 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. of fat free or 1% milk 1/3 cup canola oil 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 cup of slow cooking oats 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chip morsels In a large bowl mash the bananas and add sugar, egg, and vanilla. Mix well. Add milk, sour cream, oil and egg, mix well Slowly add flour, salt and baking powder, mix well. Add oats and chocolate chips. Using a spoon or small ice cream/cookie scoop fill the muffin cups 3/4 to the top. Bake for 25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. THEN EAT. (Extra yummy with ice-cream) PS: Just in case you are wondering, the purpose of the sour cream is to make the muffins moist and soft. You can't taste the sour cream. x

No comments:

Post a Comment