Friday, May 14, 2010

Say yes to networks






The 4-day work week hasn't gone down very well in terms of productivity. Most of the team was away either in Chicago or Atlanta, hence the lack of orientation and well-defined responsibilities. I got pulled into several con-calls each lasting an average of 3 hours, sent a couple of emails, studied the mudda of all timeline and look at a lot of numbers. That pretty much summed up my first work week in NY.

Having said that, the office is pretty swanky. Given its out of the way (read: 5-block walk from the nearest subway) location in Hell's Kitchen, the agency is pretty self-sufficient. Cafeteria (reminds me of a scaled down version of The Line). Check. Coffee Bar (Starbucks at subsidised pricing!). Check. Canteen. Check. Fitness Centre. Check. ATM Machines. Check. Lounge. Check. Roof deck. Check. Millions of board rooms. Check. Phone rooms. Check. Check. Check. Someone remarked that the office has a MOMA-esque kind of vibe, and I'd agree. Tons of art and designer furniture on every floor. For what its worth, there are also shuttle options that take you to and from the main subway stations. I guess if you are going to be this far out, you'd better make the working conditions as kick ass possible, right?

Did I also mention that I'm closer to Jersey than our home in Nolita? Overlooking the Hudson River, the floor to ceiling glass windows provides a clear view of the Jersey skyline - a great distraction for me watching the teeny tiny cars whizzing past as numbers were crunching away at the budget meeting. Zzzz.

And lest you think I'm being whiny, I gotta add that it is awesome to be back in a properly structured agency. There are obviously pros and cons with network agencies and independent shops. But given my recent experience with both, sorry, networks still rock at the end of the day in terms of support, structure, systems, and accountability. Say yes to networks!

Anyways, boy am I glad that the weekend is here. Working in midtown sure makes me appreciate downtown even more. It just feels like a completely different world, without exaggerating.

Here's a toast to the weekend *clink* and a better next work week. Enjoy y'all!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment