Monday, July 19, 2010
Summer streets in NY
So I've been told many a times that the streets drain out of people in summer. Over the last two weekends, I'm finally starting to believe it. You begin to feel a starkness of physical bodies on the streets. You can see the pavements. Stores are empty. The line at the favourite popular cafe isn't so long anymore. The trains less crowded.
Apart from the rather unbearable heat (anything hovering in the 90s is blazing hot and above 100F is a "heatwave". In Celsius, that is somewhere between 32C to 37C. But of course, we take into account "real feel" - which is actually above 40C. But hey, isn't that just like Singapore?) and I dare say its hotter and more humid here than Singapore, because really our sunny lil' isle is like an air-conditioned city, ainnit? Home - AC. Cab/ Car/ Bus/ Train - blasting AC. Malls - AC. Underpass that connects the whole of Orchard so you don't have to be out 'exposed' to the heat - AC. Apart from the 1 min in the carpark, I think Singaporeans are pretty adept in keeping cool.
Ok, so where was I? Ah, so apart from the unbearable heat, summer is actually an awesome time to be out and about. New Yorkers are more chill, seemingly more upbeat and jovial. Everyone is in a R&R mood. There is a sea of varied colour on the streets. Bring out the flip flops and bikinis. Work eases up for Summer Fridays. Beers at 3pm are allowed. Roof top parties and barbies are aplenty.
Except for work.
My first memory of summer in NY is marred by work >(
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment