Thursday, February 5, 2009
Holy Moly Guacomole!
Being the travel bunnies we are, we decided to go away for the BF's 30th 'guacamole-style'.
And where would that be other than Mexico! Now I never thought I would go to Mexico. It's like this place you see on Discovery and read about in the travel section at Borders, but never thought you would actually visit. In fact, the closest I ever got is the occasional bottle of Corona or the oh-so-delish guacamole that the BF makes every so often. Or Cafe Iguana.
But now that we are based in Boston, there is no reason not visit is there?
We loved Playa del Carmen the minute we got there. Its got just about everything - sun, sea (both compliments of the Caribbean!), yummy Mex food, party (Satoshi Tomiie was there the same weekend!), booze plus a bit of history thrown in for good measure. So what do you do in a beach town besides eating, sun-bathing, boozing, eating AND eating again? We had every excuse to pig out on Mexican, especially since it's not very common in Boston.
And boy did we. El Fogon has got to be one of our favourite joints 'cos we were there twice in our 5 days! It dishes the cheapest and yummiest local food you can find, plus you also get a (free!) lesson on authentic Mexican cuisine. In case you've never known, there's no such thing as a crispy taco (or did you already know that??). Taco Bell invented that. And does anyone know the difference between nachos, tacos, quesidillas, burritos and enchiladas?
Well, I have to say I'm pretty familiar with Mexican food, even though this was my first visit. But CACTUS was something I never ever considered food. I mean who eats cactus?! Cactus are plants. In pots. On your balconies. Not in a jar, and most definitely not served on a plate 'pickled'. I thought it was pickled peppers but hmmm yea it was cactus *gag*
Now we couldn't have flown to Mexico just for the Caribbean could we? With the Mayan archeological ruins just a few hours away, we had to check the 'cultural' box as well. I had never known much about Mexican history prior to this trip. So visiting the archeological site in Tulum and the famous newly elected seven wonders of the world - Chichén Itzá, was an eye-opener. It's so amazing to still be able to share and marvel at this bit of history, and we loved every bit of it.
Well, as always, all good things come to an end. I'm glad the BF enjoyed this trip. With the memories of our 'summer' getaway fresh in our minds, we might well be back again for another Mexican vacation. Maybe for my 30th?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment