Friday, August 7, 2009

Outrage at the Outage

Yes. After a long and arduous 6-hour flight (in my opinion at least. Jetblue doesn't serve food on their flights! Except for some really lame Terra Blue Chips, amongst others. Blue Chips for Jetblue, geddit?!) from the west to the east, all I wanted to race home, have a nice long shower and tuck into a hot bowl of instant noodles before I drift away to the land of deep sleeps on my soft, comforting sheets & mountain of pillows. Nice ainnit? So imagine my horror of horrors when after dragging the wretched luggage up 3 flights of stairs, I couldn't flick on the lights!!!! I tried the first switch by the door as you enter the apartment, uh-ah, ok maaaybeee the bulb fused? Then in a moment of panic, I ran up the stairs and tried ALL the other switches. NO LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Save for the moon-shine thru the skylights. *&^#!*^%#@! What's going on?!?!?!?!?! I need light. I need a shower. And I need to eat! There was nothing I could do. Nothing. I was alone. It was past midnight. My landlord was obviously in his own land of sleeps. So were my neighbours. I tried the switchbox. THRICE. Nada. Nope. Not. Working. And so I went to bed. Well. You don't need the lights when you sleep anyways, reasons Andrew thousands of miles away from his ultra cool dinner venue in LA. Ok. I'll try, albeit unwillingly. At this point, I finally noticed a loud, shrilly, high-pitched beeping noise from what I suspect is the smoke detector, where else, but right outside my bedroom. Beeping at intervals of 45-seconds (Yes I counted), there was no way I could have killed that wretched thing without killing myself first. I was in darkness! What if it goes bersek on me and decides to send the BFD over?! Not surprisingly, I barely slept that night. And did I mention it was some 30 degrees too?! With what little I had on, it was still darn hot! I've never been happier to see the sun poking thru the windows. It was 8am when my landlord called. The NStar guys jolted me out of bed when I finally managed to get some eye-shut at 10ish am. Apparently, the supply was cut off to the wrong apartment. Welcome to America.

No comments:

Post a Comment