Wednesday, January 28, 2009
The art of navigation
It snowed again today. The little flurries of white that fell endlessly, rapidly, everywhere, anywhere. And then came the rain. New England has long been known for its treacherous weather and its no wonder Bostonians don't batter an eyelid rain, hail, snow or storm. Or a combination of the four.
So in my attempt to be a true Bostonian, I ventured out today. Full armour consisting of tankie, jumper, sweater tights, leg warmers, cardi, coat, scarf, ear muffs, gloves, gum boots AND brolly. The rain quickly turned the snow into slush and with subzero temperatures, parts of the slush turned into ice, making the pavement sloppy and slippery. Every sidewalk and block turned into a instant dilemma that exploded in my head on the best way to cross the street without getting hit by a car and in the driest way possible: "Can I step into this puddle? How deep is it? Should I side step onto that snow mount instead? Or will it be too soft? Should I cross this street first then make my way around to the other side? Or maybe make a detour on the next street cos its always clear *pause* Now which direction are the cars coming from? *eyes dart right then left*"
And after all of this, the green light signaled for the cars to start charging through again. Geez.
Welcome to snowy wintery Boston.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment