Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My gem in the South End

Since moving into the South End, I've been exploring the neighbourhood for good restaurants, hip bars, quaint lil cafes and the likes. And I found it. Flour Bakery is located about 8 blocks from my street and everyday I find myself gravitating to this gem for its creamy lattes, melt in your mouth pastries and sandwiches. I love the casual, laid-back feel of the cafe and the fact that everyone there is just doing their own thing. The service is good and the staff's friendly. There is also a board with a quote that changes every day.. or was it week? I don't remember but its interesting. My current obsession at Flour is its roast beef sandwich. Its seriously got to be the best I've ever eaten! I've had many roast beef sandwiches where the beef is really dry and tasteless, but not Flour's. It's good quality roast beef sandwiched between freshly baked white bread, spread with horseradish, tomatoes & garnished with crispy onions! That has got to be the winning factor. It's seriously so good you could keep eating and not want to stop. The sandwich has a gourmet touch and isn't too greasy or over stuffed. I've also heard many good things about its curried tuna and roast chicken sandwiches, which I can't wait to try on my next visit. Maybe tomorrow? Now, I've also heard a thing or 2 about their renowned 'sticky sticky' buns. Double 'sticky' cos you wouldn't find a stickier one anywhere. And how quickly it disappears the minute it comes out of the oven! So right after brunch the other day, I headed straight to Flour with a mission. I got my latte fix and a yeay a sticky bun! I sunk my teeth into it with great expectation. And it doesn't disappoint! It's gooey with caramel that's not too sweet and a nice touch of cinnamon with bits of pecans on the top. I got to say it's great value for money too cos it's huge and I couldn't finish it, not especially after brunch. Flour. "Make life sweeter, eat dessert first!" And I couldn't agree more.

No comments:

Post a Comment