
The weekend came and went with a blast!
And that's only because we had so much fun. For a long time, the BF and I have been meaning to check out the famous Charlie Sandwich Shoppe a few blocks from our place. I'm so glad we finally got the chance!
A bit of history about the Boston institution.
Charlie's has been described as "equal parts old-school diner and neighborhood coffee shop" but among the locals, it is best known for its breakfasts. Opened since 1927, the diner is still being run by the same family. In fact, the very observant BF noted that they were wearing the very same clothes as they did in the family pic proudly displayed on the menu, probably taken some years ago! Charlie's has no bathrooms and has only 32 seats, 13 of which lie along a counter across from wooden refrigerators purchased in 1927 (another BF observation!). Charlie's was open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 32 straight years. When Charlie's finally decided to close on Sundays, nobody had a key, and one needed to be made. Interesting nuggets of facts huh?

Seated at the counter, we had a full view of the kitchen whilst watching greasy brekkies being methodically prepared - the same way it has been for the last 81 years! Being the pancake fiend I am, I had a hard time deciding which one to go for (nothing fancy here just good ol' chocolate chip, banana, banana+pecan, blueberry, raspberry, strawberry or cranberry) and caved in to cranberry. Not a wise choice as the berries were (fresh and) very tart which didn't go too well with the fluffy American-style pancakes. I should have gone for banana and choc chip instead! The BF's choice was better - sunny side up with hamsteak and homefries. So greasy but so yum. And all finished with a cup of home brew diner coffee :)
aww.. i want to come visit!
ReplyDeleteCome!
ReplyDelete