Sunday, March 1, 2009

R-TV

I love reality TV. Or I should say, 91% of TV I watch happen to fall under this genre, hence I draw the above conclusion. American Idol, Survivor, Amazing Race, Project Runway, ANTM, Real Housewives, Top Chef, Running In Heels, Apprentice, Make Me A Supermodel, Real World, Intervention, LA Ink, Rehab, Contender, Celebrity Sober House make my list. And sometimes Hell's Kitchen, Kimora Simmons: Life In The Fab Lane, Keeping Up With the Kardashians, What Not To Wear or Jon and Kate Plus 8. It's all a lot isn't it? But this doesn't even make up half of what's on. So why am I such a reality TV junkie? Apart from the fact that it gives me a real insight into American life, there's one for everyone and anyone. I love it more for its entertainment value, its take on 'real' life and skew on specific interests, if you like, like singing, adrenaline heart-pumping adventure, high fashion and its glitz+glamour or just plain ordinary everyday drama, than the fact that its actually reality TV. Then there is also the other part I hate that reveals the fragilities and ugliness of human nature like addiction, crime and dysfunctionality. Not to mention the really lame ones like The Bachelor, Paris Hilton's My New BFF or For The Love of Ray J. Whatever's the case, reality TV is America's answer to instant fame. And who doesn't want to be famous? If reality TV can make that happen, who gives?

2 comments: