If you don't already know, we are moving. Yes, out of this glorious shiny new modern self-contained luxurious wickedly expensive pad. To a small tiny gritty walless loft-style studio. Well, at least it still has laundry in the apartment and a cute tiny porch :)
Did I mention that 1 September is the
craziest day in the Boston calendar to move?! Its THE day when everybody and his dog moves. I think its dumb and apparently it's like this because the leases are timed according to the college calendar when the students come in. Stupid, right? There are other people in this city who are NOT students! Tsk. Needless to say, it is also the day when rates for all things related to moves and moving are jacked up. Some 50%. And why not? If I were a mover, a labourer, a truck-driver, I would. Double tsk. So for the last week, I've been up to my neck getting referrals on movers, laborers, calling up city authorities begging and pleading for quotes, timings, costs, movers permit etc.
Anyways, because this current apartment is relatively self contained in that it comes with a built-in counter top, plenty of shelves and our sweetest landlord left some of his stuff behind, our set-up cost some 10 months ago was relatively low. Now that we are moving into a studio which is really just a huge square, um, there is nothing. Zilch. Nada.
Off the top of my head, here's a list of things we'll need to get:
1. Dining table + Chairs
2. Shelves
3. Dresser
4. Vacuum cleaner
5. Laundry basket
6. A FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you ask me, all of the items above are pretty essential, especially #6. It's been so horribly hot and muggy of late, it's like the sweltering heat in Singapore again! Ha. Ok, sorry. (But, its true!)
To ensure that we have a pretty table and (designer, haha) chairs to sit on move-in date, we ventured out furniture hunting over the weekend and got these:

I love the clean modern lines of the untreated teak table that is matched with the simple Eames Eiffel Base side chairs. We were debating over white vs orange chairs and eventually settled for the former to keep pieces in the house low-key so that Andrew's gazillion wall art can do the talking. Now, I can't wait for the pieces to arrive. They are so pretty! We also got white shelves, so that's 2 /6 items checked off.
On to more shopping now...
No comments:
Post a Comment